Click here for our article on data loss prevention and backup tips.
Here are a few services and useful links:
BACKUPS & FILE STORAGE
- Clone your main hard drive to a backup hard drive -- quick and easy! Click here to download SuperDuper.
- What about securely backing up your files off-site -- in case of a fire or theft? We use Mozy.com! You can get 2GB of space for FREE, or back up 50GB for only $5.99 per month! Mac software automates your backups so you just "set it and forget it"
- Dropbox is a handy way to store files that you (or anyone you designate) can access from any computer. No more emailing yourself files or having to use a USB drive to copy files between computers. It's a great way to share files with friends or coworkers, too! You get 2GB of storage space absolutely free, or can buy additional space. Integrates beautifully with OS X, too!
- Keep your software up to date, or find new applications at MacUpdate.com or CNET Downloads (formerly Versiontracker, no longer quite as nice)
- S.M.A.R.T. is a built-in self-diagnostic tool that all modern hard drives have. It warns you about impending hard drive failures BEFORE the problem becomes catastrophic. SmartReporter is a tool that monitors your drive's SMART status and notifies you if anything is going wrong. It runs completely in the background so you don't have to think about it after you install it. Stay a step ahead of a major hard drive crash and download SmartReporter here.
- For less automated, but more robust SMART status monitoring, try SMART Utility. It's more sensitive than SMARTReporter (i.e. it will report errors more frequently) but sometimes catching errors early is the best way to avoid data loss.